- Why do I need AMI if I already have a regular auto insurance policy?
- With your regular auto policy, it’s most likely autoglass damage is NOT covered. If you only have liability insurance, your glass isn’t covered. If you have collision or comprehensive, you likely agreed to no “Windshield Coverage” to save on the premium. However, by agreeing to this, your glass is not covered in most cases, and you would have to pay the full cost to repair or replace the glass. If you’re not sure what your auto policy does or doesn’t cover, contact us and we can review and help explain your policy to you.
- Does auto insurance cover windshield chips, cracks or replacement?
- With your regular auto policy, it is most likely windshield damage is NOT covered. Most auto insurance policies in Alberta that have collision or comprehensive are issued with a limited glass endorsement. This means the policy does not cover windshield repair or replacement. If you’re not sure what your auto policy does or doesn’t cover, contact us and we can review and help explain your policy to you.
- Do I need to pass a glass inspection to receive coverage?
- Yes. But we have made it really easy for you. All you need to do is take your vehicle into one of our Preferred Service Centres. They’ll take care of the rest for you. We have dozens of centres across Alberta, so chances are there’s one nearby.
- What is a Preferred Service Centre?
- To keep your premiums and deductibles as low as possible and deliver excellent workmanship, we have established a trusted network of glass replacement businesses throughout Alberta and in select locations across the country. AMI members can trust that we stand behind the service received at any Preferred Service Centre and that claims will be resolved quickly, efficiently and without hassle.
- Do I have to go to a Preferred Service Centre for glass repair or replacement?
- No. Your AMI policy will cover glass repairs or replacements at any autoglass service centre; however, you must contact us to discuss the correct procedure prior to having any work completed. To make your claims as painless as possible, we have established a trusted network of Preferred Service Centres throughout Alberta that bill us directly, so you just pay the $25 or $50 deductible and you’re on your way.
- What determines if autoglass will be repaired or replaced?
- AMI or a Preferred Service Centre will assess damage and determine the appropriate course of action. If the damaged glass is beyond repair, AMI or a Preferred Service Centre will determine the appropriate piece of replacement glass. Replacement glass may not be identical to the damaged glass but will always be of like kind and quality.
- Will I get Dealer / OEM parts when my glass needs replacing?
- AMI or a Preferred Service Centre will assess damage and determine the appropriate course of action. If the damaged glass is beyond repair, AMI or a Preferred Service Centre will determine the appropriate piece of replacement glass. Replacement glass may not be identical to the damaged glass but will be of like kind and quality. If an after-market part of the same “like kind and quality” is available, that part will be used for installation. If no equivalent part meets all the features of the damaged glass part, the Preferred Service Centre will purchase the part from other sources (dealerships, competitive allies) to complete the installation.
- What is recalibration? Is it covered under my AMI policy?
- Some newer vehicle models are fitted with Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS) to help increase vehicle and driver safety. When your vehicle’s windshield is replaced, some of the cameras and sensors of ADAS may become misaligned. Therefore, your vehicle’s ADAS must be recalibrated to function accurately.
AMI does NOT cover recalibration. If recalibration is required to have the features reset, this would be at a cost to you at the time of replacement work being completed.
The main functions of ADAS can include lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, autonomous emergency braking, adaptive head lights, adaptive light control, automatic parking, automatic braking systems, automotive night vision, traffic sign recognition, lane change assistance, blind spot monitoring, rear view cameras, turning assistant, forward collision warnings, driver drowsiness detection and more.